Thursday, September 17

Tip #2: Mention Other Interviews

We all know there are some crucial tips to remember when heading into a job interview. . . The strong handshake. The eye contact. The appropriate attire. 

Well, its your lucky day! I have discovered another! This is perhaps a more subtly executed technique. It isn't as easily learned and it requires a bit of practice, so pay attention.

I had another interview a couple of weeks ago. Now, I was excited about the potential job, but I wouldn't say I was dying for the offer. Secondly, I was not entirely qualified for the position either. It required more experience in the field than I had. However, I obviously entered the interview with confidence that I was the best choice for the job. 

As we approached the end of the interview, my interviewer inquired about when I might be able to come in for a second meeting. The truth of the matter is, I had nothing planned for the next two weeks. I mean, I'M UNEMPLOYED, hello! But I didn't want to sound like a pathetic couch potato, so I was quick on my feet and came up with alternative response.

I proceeded to answer, "Well thank you very much for the offer! Lets see, I have a few other interviews lined up over the next couple of weeks, so I will need to check my schedule before confirming a specific date, but I would love to come in for a second interview sometime next week!" 

It was taking a risk, I know. And as my father later pointed out, a lie. Lying is never a good idea, he says. So perhaps don't take my advice. 

However, I can honestly tell you that at that moment, the momentum of the interview shifted. It was if, in that instant, the interviewer decided she wanted me. It was like the other interviews I had were HER competition, and she wanted me to pick HER. Moments earlier, I was trying to get her to want me. And now, she was trying to get me to want her. It was truly fantastic.

So there you have it. Tip #2. In your next interview, casually mention the other interviews you have lined up. You as the interviewee have OPTIONS. You're interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. What you want counts, and you aren't about to just accept any job because you were offered a second interview. By doing this, you will impress your interviewer and show that you have other people interested in you. Therefore, you increase the likelihood of actually getting the offer!

Believe me, it works. 

LOVE, your job snob.

No comments:

Post a Comment